We’re proud to be celebrating our 15th year of serving the independent music sector through advocacy, education, and fostering community.Thank you for being a part of Indie Week 2020, our inaugural virtual conference. To start viewing panels and participating in live Q&As, hit the appropriate “DAY” button. For the full daily schedule, scroll down to the bottom of the page.
Don’t forget to RSVP for the Libera Awards on a2imliberaawards.eventbrite.com, happening this Thursday at 6:30PM!
AgendaTuesday, June 15
- 12:00PM - 1:00P ET Annual General Meeting
- Join Dr. Richard James Burgess, President, and CEO of A2IM, Team A2IM and Special Guests for Indie Week 2020’s Annual General Meeting. Meet the newly elected A2IM Board of Directors, learn about A2IM’s current and future initiatves, and hear from featured speakers Helen Smtih (IMPALA), Jeremy Sirota (Merlin), Charlie Philips (WIN), and Rosie Lopez (Tommy Boy Entertainment and A2IM’s Executive Commmitte President).
- 1:00PM - 2:00PM ET Voice + Metadata Optimization on Amazon Music
- An introduction on Voice + Metadata basics to utilize Alexa on Amazon Music. Included topics: Catalog Optimization, Alexa Features, Social Recommendations, Engagement, and Metadata Delivery.
Speakers:Frankie Yaptinchay (Amazon)
- 1:20PM - 2:00PM ET Spotlight On Finance: What's Your Business Worth?
- Featured Speaker, Glen Barros, leads a conversation on the financial structure of a business. Where does value come from? How do you determine it? Learn the financial tools to assess your company’s worth, to keep it strong, and to set up your future so that, if you decide to expand or exit, you can.
Speakers:Glen Barros (Exceleration Music)
- 2:10PM - 2:50PM ET Streaming's New Frontier: Master Hybrid Platforms
- How do you influence success, monetize, and succeed on hybrid platforms, which are part social media and part streaming, such as Tik Tok, Facebook/Instagram.
Speakers:Heather Johnson (Ninety9lives), Jamie Sampson (Facebook), Tracy Gardner (TikTok)
- 2:20PM - 2:40PM ET Lightning Talk: Fresh Takes - YouTooCanWoo
- Lightning Talk | Indie⚡️is a format where experts in our community speak for 5-10 information-driven, dynamic minutes on a specific topic related to the Independent sector. Lightning Talks, designed to give attendees the maximum amount of information in the minimum amount of time. Our “Fresh Takes” series highlights A2IM Members who have “fresh” and/or innovative business models.
Speakers:Robert Perlick-Molinari (Toucan sounds / YouTooCanWoo)
- 2:40PM - 2:50PM ET Lightning Talk: Fresh Takes - ChillHop
- “Lightning Talk | Indie⚡️is a format where experts in our community speak for 5-10 information-driven, dynamic minutes on a specific topic related to the Independent sector. Lightning Talks, designed to give attendees the maximum amount of information in the minimum amount of time. Our “Fresh Takes” series highlights A2IM Members who have “”fresh”” and/or innovative business models.
Speakers:Bas van Leeuwen (Chillhop)
- 3:00PM - 3:30PM ET Keynote Speaker: Kris Ahrend in Conversation w/ Dr. Richard James Burgess
- Kris Ahrend, Chief Executive Officer of the MLC in conversation with Dr. Richard James Burgess, A2IM’s President and CEO to discuss the MLC
Speakers:Kris Ahrend (The MLC), Richard James Burgess (A2IM)
- 3:30PM - 4:05PM ET WINCON: DDEX for Dummies
- DDEX is an organisation focused on setting standards to make the exchange of data and information across the music industry more efficient. We will give a brief introduction to DDEX standards of special interest to indie labels: the Recording Information Notification Standard (RIN); the Media Enrichment and Description Standard (MEAD); and the Recording Data and Rights Standards (RDR).
Speakers:Charlie Phillips (Worldwide Independent Network), Mark Isherwood (DDEX)
- 3:30PM - 4:10PM ET Drowning in Data? How to Cope with The Volume
- Data is essential for survival. This panel will discuss the most effective methods to cut through the noise and make technology work for you.
Speakers:Evan Plake (A2IM), Lindsay Schapiro (Mom + Pop Music), Mariah Czap (Yep Roc Records), Matt Brinkworth (Omnian Music Group), Rasty Turek (PEX)
- 3:40PM - 4:10PM ET New Trends in Commercially Viable Placements
- What music are companies looking for? What are the music licensing trends for the new decade.
Speakers:Evelin Garcia (Ignition Creative), Kathryn Matt (Epidemic Sound), Toddrick Spalding (Mob Scene), Zeli Berusch (Point Records)
- 4:10PM - 4:45PM ET WINCON: RDx Implementation
- IFPI and WIN came together in 2019 to create the first ever centralised industry data exchange system. The Repertoire Data Exchange (RDx) platform aims to make it easier for record labels to register their repertoire and rights data with all participating collective licensing companies, which in turn makes the payment of royalties more efficient. Join us to understand its functioning and how can the independent music community make the most out of this service. Note that this session will draw on some of the content presented in the “DDEX for Dummies” presentation. We therefore recommend attending both sessions.
Speakers:Charlie Phillips (Worldwide Independent Network), Matt Phipps-Taylor (PPL), Richard Gooch (IFPI)
- 4:30PM - 5:00PM ET Are We Moving Towards a Genre-Less Industry?
- Do labels, who are no longer beholden to narrow radio formats, but must please the algorithmic gods, have wider latitude to categorize their artist’s music? What does genre mean in 2020?
Speakers:Brandon Hixon (Symphonic Distribution), Harrison Green (Soundcloud), Jacqueline Schneider (Forbes), John Stein (Spotify)
- 4:50PM - 5:30PM ET The Value of Working Together
- Independent music trade associations exist to develop and share knowledge, best practice, and to strengthen community for their members. We will discuss some of the benefits and services that they provide to draw in new companies and improve engagement and membership value.
Speakers:Jude McArdle (AIM), Noemí Planas (Worldwide Independent Network), Oliver Knust (Chilemusica), Sheryl Cohen (A2IM), Stuart Johnston (CIMA)
- 5:00PM - 5:30PM ET You're Losing Money, Why Bad Metadata is to Blame
- The music industry’s metadata problems are preventing rights’ holders from earning revenue. Why is this process so fragmented? How can our systems be improved?
Speakers:Ali Lieberman (SoundExchange), Bill Wilson (Entertainment One), Dae Bogan (The MLC), Rob Weitzner (Consolidated Independent; CI)
- 5:30PM - 6:00PM ET Happy Half Hour!
- Team A2IM!