We’re proud to be celebrating our 15th year of serving the independent music sector through advocacy, education, and fostering community.Thank you for being a part of Indie Week 2020, our inaugural virtual conference. To start viewing panels and participating in live Q&As, hit the appropriate “DAY” button. For the full daily schedule, scroll down to the bottom of the page.
Don’t forget to RSVP for the Libera Awards on a2imliberaawards.eventbrite.com, happening this Thursday at 6:30PM!
AgendaThursday, June 18
- 11:55 AM - 12:00 PM ET Opening Remarks
- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM ET YouTube Music: How to Connect with Fans in the COVID-19 Era
- Learn about best practices for artists and labels to stay connected with fans on YouTube at a time when in-person events and touring are on pause. We will present updates on features like merchandise, live streaming, Super Chat and Super Stickers, and YouTube Premieres, and offer ideas of how to use them creatively to grow your audience or market new releases.
Speakers:David Krinsky (YouTube Music)
- 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM ET Recommendation Algorithms; What do You Need to Know?
- How do recommendation algorithms work? How can you make them work for you?
Speakers:Brandon Becker (Beggars Group), Danny Gallardo (Beats by Danny LLC), Livia Tortella (Black Box), Marie Clausen (Ninjatune), Sam Cope (FUGA)
- 1:30 PM - 2:00 PM ET Toddlers are Generating Cash
- Peppa Pig has 11.2 million subscribers on YouTube and Kidz Bop has sold over 22 million albums. Children's music is a certified money maker with an audience that refreshes every four years. Are you paying attention to this audience?
Speakers:Chris Moncada (Last Gang Records/eOne Music), Karen Lieberman (Disney Music Group), Victor Zaraya (Concord)
- 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM ET SongTrust: Music Publishing for Independent Labels
- Music publishing for Independent Labels.
Speakers:Anna Bond (Songtrust)
- 2:10 PM - 2:50 PM ET Featured Speaker: Cherie Hu; Emerging Technologies
- Writer and Analyst, Cherie Hu provides an overview of the emerging technologies and business models that have gained new ground amidst the pandemic (e.g. livestreaming, membership/fan-club tools like Patreon, "tipping" culture, virtual avatars, remote collaboration) and their systemic long-term impact on how the music industry works.
Speakers:Cherie Hu (Water & Music)
- 2:50 PM - 3:20 PM ET Billboard's Charts Deconstructed
- Silvio Pietroluongo provides an overview of Billboard’s chart changes. AQ&A with Tommy Boy President and A2IM Board Chairperson, Rosie Lopez on how the charts impact us will follow.
Speakers:Rosie Lopez (Tommy Boy), Silvio Pietroluongo (Billboard)
- 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM ET The Orchard: Building Products From A Creator Lens
- The Orchard has always been invested in data-driven technology that empowers creatives. During a time when there is a heightened focus on social and digital engagement, The Orchard’s updated capabilities for its industry-facing mobile app, OrchardGo, bring artists closer to fans. With OrchardGo, The Orchard’s distributed artists, labels, and their teams have access to a cohesive visualization of song streaming insights as well as their full social media landscape. Jacob Fowler, Chief Technology Officer, will walk through the app’s newest features and show how artists and labels can utilize each to make informative release and marketing decisions.
- 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM ET Scaling Internationally, The Basics of Growing Your International Business
- Learn the nuts and bolts, of how to set up an international arm from those who’ve been successful in this area
Speakers:Eric Tobin (Hopeless Records), Richard Hannan (Big Indie Records)
- 3:30 PM - 4:00 PM ET Is HD something I Should be Thinking About?
- Consumers today listen to streaming music that is lower quality than CD audio, which has been available since 1982. But Hi-Definition (HD) streaming audio (CD quality or better), has been around for some years. How might HD streaming affect your business and what’s in it for you?
Speakers:Dan Mackta (Qobuz USA), Jeff Lanier (Chesky Records), Mike Jbara (MQA)
- 3:40 PM - 4:00 PM ET Embracing AI: Forecasting Changes in How We Create and Interact with Music
- An overview of how machine learning will impact my business
Speakers:Irena Cronin (Infinite Retina), Rob Abelow (Roll Call Records & Management), Taishi Fukuyama (Amadeus Code / Evoke Music)
- 4:05 PM - 4:30 PM ET Closing Remarks by Richard James Burgess followed by LIVE A2IM Staff Goodbye
- Join us for closing remarks by our President and CEO Dr. Richard James Burgess, followed by one final A2IM Happy Half Hour, where you can meet the team behind Indie Week 2020.
- 6:40 PM - 9:15 PM ET A2IM Libera Awards 2020
- The Libera Awards, presented by SoundExchange and in partnership with Merlin, is the largest Independent music award show in the world. It celebrates the successes of the independent music community, from the artists that create the music to the labels that release and promote it.
This year, the Libera Awards is going virtual and will be streaming on Facebook, YouTube, and liberaawards.com. Featuring performances by Wyclef Jean, Big Thief, Orville Peck, Terri Lyne Carrington, IDLES, Sudan Archives, Tinariwen, Salt Cathedral, Julia Jacklin, Y La Bamba, Alejandro Escovedo and Suzanne Ciani, don't miss Independent Music's biggest night!